Living with pets can be a beneficial and enjoyable experience for older people, but there comes a point where taking care of a pet might prove too much of a challenge.
This needn’t be the case with Midian’s Personal Care or Awake/Sleep-In Care. Your loved one can receive the support they need to keep living with pets – whether it’s an old companion or a new addition.
Why pets can be so beneficial to older people?
Pets provide companionship, mental stimulation, exercise, a sense of daily order and moments of affection, all of which take on increasing importance as people age.
Whether getting out and walking the dog, or reading on the sofa while stroking the cat, pets can be the source of treasured domestic moments.
According to the Society for Companion Animal Studies (SCAS), pets can have a positive effect on older people’s health and wellbeing in several ways, including:
- Alleviating loneliness by providing companionship
- Providing a sense of purpose and structure in daily life
- Increasing attentiveness to self-care and nutritional needs
- Enhancing a perception of wellbeing
- Minimizing GP visits for minor conditions
- Lowering blood pressure
- Reducing verbal aggression and anxiety in people with Alzheimer’s